Fellowship of Souls

Forum

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello Fellowship of Souls!
Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am by Thodrin

» Looking for an update on what's going on.
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm by Gallant

» Hey There. New arrival here
Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:13 am by Gnova

» Thot I hope you read this post
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:31 pm by Ralt

» Thank you for the Invite
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 am by Thau

» Who am I to think I should get what I pay for?
Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm by Wiid

» Hello FoS Glad to be here
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 pm by Seshatnun

» New to the guild and just saying hello
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm by Seshatnun

» Look at our new Coat of Arms!
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:19 pm by Seshatnun

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Share | 

What's so special about DirectX10?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Krodoom

PostSubject: What's so special about DirectX10?   Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Since I started AoC, I have read many comments about the lack of DirectX10 on the game. I want to know what's so special about DirectX10? Of the many problems Aoc has (bugged quest, long travel time etc), I don't think looks is one of them. The game's graphics is fine, DirectX 10 will not help much there. But many players are still complaining about the lack of it. I don't understand why? What's so special about DirectX10?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minmay

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about DirectX10?   Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 am

Short answer is that it adds more detail.

"At the core of DirectXģ are its application programming interfaces, or APIs. The APIs act as a kind of bridge for the hardware and the software to "talk" to each other. The DirectXģ APIs gives multimedia applications access to the advanced features of high-performance hardware such as three-dimensional (3-D) graphics acceleration chips and sound cards. They control low- level functions, including two- dimensional (2-D) graphics acceleration; support for input devices such as joysticks, keyboards, and mice; and control of sound mixing and sound output."

Flight Simulator X rendered in DirectX 9

Flight Simulator X rendered in DirectX 10

Age of Conan DirectX 9

Age of Conan DirectX 10

Age of Conan DirectX 9

Age of Conan DirectX 10

DirectX 9 (Halo: Combat Evolved)

DirectX 10 (Crysis)

MS Direct X 10

FYI DX10 will only work on Vista and video cards that are DX10 compatible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minmay

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about DirectX10?   Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:24 am

Watch this video, it has DX9 vs DX10
Hyborian Insider, New Content, DX10 and more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krodoom

PostSubject: What's so special about Direct X 10?   Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Iím not saying Direct X 10 isnít better, it clearly is. What Iím saying is that AoC look good enough as it is now, thereís no reason to go to Direct X 10. I rather Funcom concentrate on improving gameplay. I would love it if they
- Cut the travel time between areas
- Improve some of the classes (DT anyone?)
- Solve the bugged quests
- Have something like WARís Tome of Knowledge or LoTRís Titles & Deeds

Graphically, AoC is fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minmay

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about DirectX10?   Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:00 am

Krodoom wrote:
Iím not saying Direct X 10 isnít better, it clearly is. What Iím saying is that AoC look good enough as it is now, thereís no reason to go to Direct X 10. I rather Funcom concentrate on improving gameplay. I would love it if they
- Cut the travel time between areas
- Improve some of the classes (DT anyone?)
- Solve the bugged quests
- Have something like WARís Tome of Knowledge or LoTRís Titles & Deeds

Graphically, AoC is fine.
You are right about the graphics of AoC being fine. There are a lot of things they need to focus on, like Power Points and more zones.

- Cut the travel time between areas You never played FFXI did you? rabbit

- Improve some of the classes (DT anyone?) I think DT is a great job. Then again I am only 37 and never been in a group.

- Solve the bugged quests Roger that

- Have something like WARís Tome of Knowledge or LoTRís Titles & Deeds No clue what you are talking about here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gren

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about DirectX10?   Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Personally I think travel time between areas is fine. Every game I've ever played always, always had travel time issues, and ways to circumvent long times by using mounts or special 'porting' abilities. AoC is very similar, and even allows a person to get faster mounts too.

Bugged quests could certainly be fixed, but what MMO out there doesn't have some kind of quest bugs? They all do to some extent or another.

I think all the classes are pretty decent as of now, the DT is a special class, and can be played to good effect if one has patience and learns to understand what the class can do. I've tanked some bosses on mine and added some pretty decent dps. I've even pvped with mine and gotten several kills, so I don't know exactly how the DT is broken like everyone else seems to think. Do I think it could be better? Most certainly, but I do not know how best to implement any changes to improve the class that wouldn't over balance it toward the other way. It's just a tough road.

Some sort of in game lore book would be kind of nice to have, and I would like to see something like that implemented with some minor buffs that can be slotted in some way to give a player a since of completeness. How that could be done without serious consequences I do not know, but it would be nice to know how many Picts I've killed, and if I killed say 1000, maybe a temporary +5 damage buff to Picts could be toggled on every 60 minutes or something. Now that would be nice.

DX10 though is a huge let down for me, as I built my rig to provide the best experience for me while playing AoC. Without it the game, while nice as it is, and it is very nice, just doesn't live up to what I expected. That's why so many people are up in arms about the lack of DX10 support.

I never played WoW for longer than the trial because I didn't like cartoony graphics, it's one of the same reasons I dont' play Warhammer. I do play LotRO on occasion and I like the graphics there as they are a little bit more refined than either of the previous games but they are still lacking overall. I like realism, and I like seeing the detail available with higher end graphics support. Without it the game just doesn't have the same flavor as I hoped it would with DX10.

When DX10 finally gets implemented, many people will finally be able to see the detail that we expected, and that will go a long way toward cementing AoC as one of the best MMOs on the market.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about DirectX10?   

Back to top Go down

What's so special about DirectX10?
Page 1 of 1